Sunday, March 16, 2008

Band of the week: dakota/dakota

Chicago's dakota/dakota features Mike and Colin from the original lineup of Russian Circles on guitar and bass, respectively.  After dakota/dakota broke up a few years ago, Mike and Colin went on to enlist Dave from Riddle of Steel to play drums in Russian Circles.  Expect upbeat, catchy, technically proficient songs with hilarious titles from these guys.

One of my roommates in college got me into a lot of the instrumental music I listen to now (thanks, Pat!).  One night he came home, really excited about this band, dakota/dakota, that he'd just seen play at this apartment.  Rarely had I seen him this excited about a band.  They sounded interesting, but it took him going to about 5 more of their shows before I finally went to one with him.  We saw dakota/dakota play in a classroom at DePaul University in Chicago.  There were a decent number of people there.  I was ecstatic.  This was amazing! 

Most of their releases are out of print or hard to find these days, but I'm sure you could find their stuff by searching on Google, gemm.com or musicstack.com.  Here's some links to a few of their songs:

Hamburger Help Us (Shoot In The Dark CD, Hamburger Help Us 7")
I Hope To God I'm Not A Sheep (Shoot In The Dark CD)

No comments: